Monday, July 17, 2006

From the fire into the frying pan

Back in Ireland, leaving upstate NY behind to swelter. However, it's pretty warm here too.

Had a good break, including the highlight of the doubleheader at Shea. Mets lost the first and won the second, which was as much as I hoped for heading to the ball park.

I presume I'll get back to Shea once or twice in the next couple of years, but still it did occur to me that it might have been my last time there (new stadium due in 2009). Like most Met fans I have a love/hate relationship with the place. Cold as hell in the spring & fall (especially where I usually sit - way up), essentially character-less and generally filthy, but still it's the place where my best (& worst) baseball memories were made. I'll miss it when it's gone.

Most of the rest of the trip was relaxing at Lake George, but I did drag the children to the Saratoga battlefield, something I've been threatening for a while. I enjoyed it, but really it should be a lot better. It's nowhere near as interesting as a visit to Gettysburg, but it should be at least close. We also went to Cooperstown.

I took some pictures while away, but it seems my camera is heading for the scrap heap. The focus doesn't work right all the time - too many blurry photographs. None of my pictures from Cooperstown came out.