Thursday, July 20, 2006

MP3 players are bad for your ears

Read all about it, MP3 players can make you deaf. Says so in today's Irish Independent.

I wish I could find the reference, but I'm certain that I saw almost this exact same argument made in the NY Times 25+ years ago when the Sony Walkman became the 'must have' for every teenager. {I still have the Walkman I bought in 1982 and it still works. My children find it a source of amusement.}

The Independent also tells us that, "Y[oung] people who listen to MP3 players too loudly and too often run risk of going deaf 30 years earlier than their parents". But, their parents will be going deaf 30 years earlier than their grandparents thanks to all those hours with spent with the Walkman, so it seems to me that the average 20-year-old today will be going deaf 60 years before his/her grandparents went deaf. That should be just about now.